Which Drywall Finish Suits Your Kensington Home?
When you schedule a new drywall installation, you can choose from a wide range of drywall finishes. Drywall textures applied by experienced painters can enhance your interior design while concealing imperfections on the ceilings and walls of your Kensington home.
5 Different Drywall Textures
- Slap Brush – A brush technique to apply drywall is called slap brush, and it's known to be a messy method. This finish is popular among homeowners because it covers imperfections well. Slap brush is also known as “tiger's skin,” “panda paws,” “crow's feet,” and “stomp brush.”
- Orange Peel – The most common drywall texture is the orange peel finish. The name comes from the texture's appearance that resembles the surface of an orange. The orange peel technique is easy to accomplish, and it involves the spraying of drywall with an air compressor and a specialized nozzle. The drywall is allowed to dry, and then the painter primes and paints the walls or ceilings.
- Knockdown – To create a knockdown drywall finish, your painters will let the large globules of drywall dry somewhat after spraying and then run a drywall knife along the droplets. This drywall texture is fairly subtle, and it resembles stucco. Many homeowners select a knockdown drywall finish if they want to obscure defects on their walls and ceilings.
- Skip Trowel – A painter creates a skip trowel texture by applying a thin layer of drywall mud and dragging a trowel in an arching pattern. Some of the mud will be raised, and some of it will remain flat. Homeowners should be aware that heavy impact from furniture items can chip a skip trowel finish.
- Swirl – Typically, the swirl drywall finish is applied to ceilings, but you can also apply it to your walls. This texture is created from a pattern of stacked partial circles, a complicated design that requires the expertise of professional painters.
Schedule Your New Drywall Installation
If you can't decide which drywall texture to apply to your Kensington home's walls and ceilings, consult with the painters at Benchmark Painting & Carpentry while you schedule your new drywall installation. Our qualified team can provide their expertise so that you can select a drywall finish that complements your home's interior design.